Monday, November 23, 2015

Wedding Dress Shopping

Happy Monday! I hope you all had a lovely weekend because I know I certainly did! After having to re-schedule due to a cold a few weeks ago, I finally went to David's Bridal to try on wedding blessing dresses! Initially, I will admit I wasn't completely sold on the whole ritual, but now I am so happy I went and really excited about finding a dress! 

I am so thankful that my mum and aunt drove up from Kingston for the appointment, along with my mother-in-law and grandma, who came from Richmond and Kanata respectively! It was really special for me to have them all there, and I really appreciated their support and insight.

When we arrived at the bridal store, I was surprised to see quite a few groups of people all huddled outside waiting for the doors to open. I guess I hadn't expected it to be so busy at 11:00 am on a Sunday morning! Since we had arrived about twenty minutes early, we took the extra time to grab a coffee, before returning to the store for the appointment. Unfortunately, this is when my mum discovered that at some point earlier that morning (likely when they had stopped for gas), she had lost her bank card! Luckily, my mother-in-law was kind enough to offer to take my mum to the bank and sort the whole thing out, so they left just as soon as we signed in for our appointment at the front desk. Since it was so busy, they had us browse around through the racks while we waited for our consultant to call my name over the intercom. After about 10 minutes, we met with the consultant and headed back to the fitting rooms to start the appointment. 

I had done my research, so I actually came prepared with a list of my favorite designs featured on their website, complete with style numbers to make them easier to find on their inventory system (those of you who know me well enough won't be surprised by this!). I tried on 6 dresses in total, but was feeling really anxious since neither my mum or mother-in-law were there to see the first 4 that I tried on. I was thankful I wasn't alone, but I was starting to get pretty anxious that they were going to miss the whole thing. Thankfully, they arrived, and I was SO happy to see them standing there when I stepped out of the fitting room with dress #4 on!

There were so many beautiful dresses in the store, and it was a bit overwhelming at first, but I must say, the consultants are very knowledgeable and helpful! Of the 6 dresses I tried on, it was pretty easy to nix three of them right away, but once we narrowed the decision down to two, things got a lot more difficult! We didn't end up buying a dress, but I'm not the least bit upset, because first of all, I know that we will, and second of all, I really needed some time away from the bridal store to process everything and really think about exactly what I wanted anyway. 

After I got changed back into my regular clothes, the five of us headed over to Scores for some much needed sustenance! There aren't a whole lot of choices when it comes to restaurants in the Trainyards, but Scores is actually a pretty great place to go! They are kind of like Swiss Chalet to me, in that they both pride themselves on rotisserie-style chicken. In any case, the food was great and it was nice to sit down and relax a bit! Once everyone finished eating, my mum and aunt left to drive back to Kingston and my mother-in-law drove me back home to Ryan and Rocky! 

Now that I've looked at the photos over a hundred times and had the chance to sleep on it, I am much more decided about which dress I want! That being said, I don't have another appointment until mid-December, so we'll see if I'm still in love with my current choice when I try it on again! I never thought I would say this, but patience and time will really be the determining factor here! Of course, there's always that gut instinct, but I honestly think that if it's the right dress, I'll love it and know it's the right one when I try it on again in a few weeks! I am VERY excited to try it on again, that's for sure!

I am so happy that we went to David's Bridal to try on dresses, and I would highly recommend the experience. I'm planning on doing a follow-up post about what to "expect, bring, and avoid" at a bridal consultation, so stay tuned for that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment